Turkey Tomato Soup
- 2 tbspn olive oil
- 2 pounds turkey
- 4 medium-size stalks celery sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 medium-size carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (1 pound ea) tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram crumbled
- 1 teaspoon thyme, crumbled
- 1 tspn black pepper
- 1 tspn basil
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Skin and debone the turkey.
- Cut turkey into bite-sized chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or 5-quart Dutch oven over moderate heat for 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and brown on all sides. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Slowly add the water, so as to avoid oil splatter.
- Add the celery, carrots, onion, tomatoes (with juice), water, barley, and spices.
- Add garlic and/or cayenne pepper for extra "kick."
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer until tender. This should take about 90 minutes.